Yoga for Pregnancy
This course can be attended individually or as part of the post graduate training and is recognised as an approved professional development (APD) course by Yoga Australia.
Aim of the course is to:
- understand the physical, mental and emotional journey of pregnancy.
- understand how yoga supports women in all stages of pregnancy.
- give you the confidence and knowledge to design and teach your own pregnancy yoga classes.
- honour Patanjali’s eightfold path and teach authentic yoga.
- understand the power and importance of women sharing their journey, the need for this emotional support and community and how to bring this into your classes.
Outline of course content:
Anatomy and Physiology
- The three trimesters of pregnancy.
- The female pelvis, pelvic floor and uterus and changes during pregnancy.
- Emotional and hormonal changes in pregnancy.
Yoga for Pregnancy
- Modifying yoga asana for the various stages of pregnancy.
- Special sequences for pregnancy and sample classes.
- How to manage and support women’s emotional journey.
- Supporting good postural alignment during pregnancy.
- Yoga therapy for common complaints in pregnancy.
- Optimal foetal positioning.
- Using props during pregnancy.
- Guidelines and precautions for teaching pregnant students.
- Teaching pregnant students in general classes.
- Practicalities of establishing and running a pregnancy yoga class.
- Pranayama, meditation, mantra, yoga nidra and visualisation for pregnancy.
- Introduction to fertility yoga.
- Recommended resources – books and film.
The course includes two non-residential weekend intensives held at the beginning and end of a 3 month period and an invaluable one on one mentoring component. This time allows for the necessary study, practise and course work to be completed and assessed.
Friday October 30th to Sunday November 1st 2020
Friday 5th to Sunday 7th February 2021
Friday 2.00 to 6.00pm
Saturday 9.00 to 5.30pm
Sunday 9.00 to 5.30pm