This course can be attended individually or as part of the post graduate training and is recognised as an approved professional development (APD) course by Yoga Australia.
Aim of the course is to:
- understand the physical, mental and emotional journey of early motherhood.
- learn how to use yoga practises to support postnatal women.
- give you the confidence and knowledge to design and teach postnatal yoga classes.
- honour Patanjali’s eightfold path and teach authentic yoga.
- understand the power and importance of women sharing their journey, the need for this emotional support and community and how to bring this into your classes.
Outline of course content:
Anatomy and physiology
- The anatomy of the abdominal muscles and pelvic floor.
- The physical and emotional changes of early motherhood.
- Benefits of postnatal yoga.
- Guidelines and precautions for teaching postnatal yoga.
- Practice teaching safe alignment and modifications for postnatal yoga.
- Safe, gentle practises for very early postnatal period.
- Special sequences for postnatal women and sample classes.
- Yoga practises to support nursing mothers and breast health.
- Restorative yoga for new mothers.
- Yoga therapy for common complaints.
- Understand baby development.
- Incorporating baby in the yoga postures.
- Practicalities of establishing and running a postnatal or ‘mums with bubs’ yoga class.
- Teaching postnatal students in general classes.
- Pranayama, meditation, yoga nidra and visualisation for postnatal women.
- Valuable cultural traditions and practises from around the world for the fourth trimester including baby massage.
- Supporting women during this sensitive, emotional time.
- Recommended resources – books and film.
- An overview of postnatal depression.
- Recovering from birth trauma.
The course includes two non-residential weekend intensives held at the beginning and end of a 10 week period and an invaluable one on one mentoring component. This time allows for the necessary study, practise and course work to be completed and assessed.
Friday 10th to Sunday 12th September
Friday 26th to Sunday 28th November
Friday 2.00 to 6.00pm
Saturday 9.00 to 5.30pm
Sunday 9.00 to 5.30pm